Creating a video for API3 with DeFi Teller

API3 is a unique project and undoubtedly one of the key players in DeFi but surprisingly, we have not found any quality and detailed videos about the technologies used in the protocol. We will be happy to fill this gap. Since the protocol is quite complex in its design, and its core concepts are not easy to grasp for newcomers to the field, we propose to make a video explainer about the technological aspects of API3, its key ecosystem components describing in simple words how it safely imports data to dApps’ smart contracts, what is behind Airnode, how it solves the API connectivity problem, what is the utility of API3 token and so forth.

Who we are:

DeFi Teller is an educational resource that does the due diligence for the user by providing information about blockchain technology and decentralized applications (reviews, video explainers, on-chain data) in the most accessible way.

What we are good at:

Writing scripts targeted at an audience with an average level of knowledge in the blockchain. We target people who have a basic understanding of how blockchain works, as well as a cursory understanding of the crypto market and its key players. Our viewer has probably already used dApps on the simple purchasing/trading/borrowing/staking level. Our task is to immerse this user deeper and explain in simple words what technology stands behind a particular project. In doing so, we take the presentation format very seriously and try to dig deep, figuring out what is under the hood of technologies and projects and what exactly makes them special. For example, this is how we explained what rollups are: What are Еthereum Rollups and How Do They Work? Rollups Explained in Simple Terms - YouTube

Creating distinctive visuals. The DeFi Teller team uses only original illustrations and takes a thoughtful approach to the process of video storyboarding. Our team of illustrators and animators works tightly with the editorial team, and the team of the project we’re reviewing.

Process:

The existing DeFi Teller videos were created by us with our own funds and were highly praised by the teams of the projects we were talking about. For example, the Polkadot video was added to the welcome pages of the Polkadot and Kusama documentation. Further, we see our development in line with the spirit of decentralization - we would like to continue to talk about the most interesting DeFi projects and do so with nice graphics and quality scripts. We’re not looking for profits coming directly from the teams, nor are we looking to create entirely commercial videos, reserving the right to choose the topics and angle of their coverage. All we need is to cover the cost of the video and support us in distributing the content (retweets, adding to documentation, and so forth).

The video creation process is as follows:

-Writing script;

-Creating storyboard;

-Recording voice-over;

-Animating the video;

-Publishing the video on DeFi Teller resources (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4siZvLkAyiexFyPst1fC7w 1; Defiteller.guru, twitter.com/defiteller).

Comments, remarks, and suggestions from the team are more than welcome at all stages of the video production.

Timeline:

The timeline of the video depends on its budget. Without expanding the design team, and given that edits and comments from the team will be provided promptly, we can produce one video in about 3-4 weeks.

Input expected from the API3 team:

1. The team/community reviews the script and gives notes;

2. The team/community reviews the storyboard and gives notes;

3. The team/community reviews the final draft of the video and gives notes;

4. Help in promoting the video (e.g. on social media or in the project documentation).

5. Cover the cost of video production.

Budget:

Our team will be able to give you an accurate estimate of the budget only after the script is approved since most of the cost of the video falls on the work of the illustrators and animators. A rough estimate is that on average one minute of video costs us $1,000.

The approximate cost of the final amount in percentage ratio looks like this:

Script

Writer - 5%

Editor - 7%

Storyboard

Illustrator - 25%

Designer - 16%

Supervisor - 7%

Animation

Designer - 30%

Supervisor - 10%

Hello @Camille_H and welcome to the API3 Community!

Thanks for reaching out to us. I agree with your observation that there aren’t any videos that explain the API3 technology and different components of the ecosystem in great detail. However, a few topics were still up for debate internally. In light of this, it would not have been a wise decision to prematurely put resources into the production of videos that might need to be overhauled later on due to potential changes, even if they are minor (such as changing the term of a certain component). After all, we want to ensure that resources are spent in the best interest of the API3 DAO and that any video material we publish is of great quality, both visually and contentwise. As you know, this requires a lot of planning, an expert editor and a well written script.

As far as I am concerned, these efforts are already planned for the foreseeable future but maybe @ryan wants to share more in that respect. Nonetheless, I will review your YouTube channel and provide feedback.

3 Likes

I’m happy to discuss. I’ll check out what you shared and follow up.

1 Like

Thank you Ryan and Marcus! Will be waiting for your feedback

Hey just wanted to follow up on my proposal. Did you have the chance to check our videos? Please let me know if you need any additional details.

Also, I’d like to add a link to our latest Avalanche video to the discussion to show you another result of our work. The Ava Labs team appreciated this video, and we can boast of praise from Emin Gün Sirer among others. What is Avalanche Network and How Does it Work? Explained in 5 Minutes - YouTube

Thank you for your patience @Camille_H. The marketing team and I have reviewed your YouTube channel and discussed your offer. At this moment, we have no interest in your service. We appreciate that you reached out to us, though.